WhatsApp call button

Do I Need a Plumber or a Heating Engineer?

Many people don’t know that not all plumbers are heating engineers, and these two jobs are often done by different people. Before you contact a tradesperson, it’s best to be sure who you need to call if something goes wrong in your home. Sometimes it can be obvious, but at other times, for example if the issue is to do with a pipe related to your boiler, it may be less clear.

In the following brief guide we give you the lowdown on who to call when you need plumbing or heating-related help in your home.

Reasons to call a plumber

Plumbers carry out a vast range of tasks in your home connected to your water and pipes. If you have a leaky appliance like a washing machine or dishwasher, then a plumber is who you need to call. Similarly, for toilet, tap and shower leaks or blockages you would also call a plumber, and it would be a plumber again if you have a leaking pipe or are considering having a new bathroom installed as they also fit taps, showers, baths and toilets.

Reasons to call a heating engineer

While plumbers provide a highly skilled level of service with the above tasks, they can’t necessarily work on your central heating system. If you have a problem with your gas boiler, your radiators or your boiler pipes then you should call a qualified heating engineer. To repair, service or install your central heating system, a heating engineer must be Gas Safe registered, which proves their qualifications and experience.

Can heating engineers be plumbers as well?

Yes, they can. In many cases, plumbers undertake specialist qualifications so they can also install gas boilers and manage any repair or care needs in your home that are connected to your central heating. The reason it’s important to check if your plumber is also a heating engineer is skill and safety. If you hire a plumber without the right registrations or qualifications, they can cause damage to your central heating system and put you and your family in danger.

Expert plumber and heating engineer in Redditch and surrounds

At Lakins Plumbing & Heating, we offer a complete plumbing and heating service, being Gas Safe registered and with over 20 years in the industry. As experienced plumbers and heating engineers, we’re best placed to help - whether you have a leaky tap or a leaky boiler. Proudly serving homeowners across Redditch, Alvechurch, Bromsgrove, Studley and Alcester, we welcome all enquiries so get in touch today.

You can call us on 07976271681, email us at matt@lakinsheatingandplumbing.co.uk or get in touch online by completing our short contact form.